Caring for Cacti

1:00 PM




I purchased my cactus and succulent about a month and a half ago and the first thing I did was research how to take care of them, since I have never taken care of my own plants before. I figured I'd make some easy direction and tips that anyone with a cactus and succulent can follow.


  • Light - For many species brightly lit areas with lots of sunlight are perfect, but not somewhere with full midday sun. Full midnight sun can actually burn your plant. I like to keep mine by the window in the kitchen in the afternoon when the sun's not too hot, sometime between 3-6, and in the morning I keep them by the window in my room when the sun's not very intense.
  • Water - During warmer months (the growing phase) they should be watered once a week, possibly wait until the soil is completely dry and soak the plant for a few minutes. When the weather is colder, they need much less water, going weeks in between watering sessions.
  • Pot - It's best to have pot with a drainage hole at the bottom, so you don't drown your plant, if it's not possible for you to have one, just be extra careful when watering.
  • Re-Potting - Try to pot once a year, when the plant starts to look uncomfortable transfer in to a new, or bigger pot.
   * Yellowing = too much sun or over watering
   * Leaning towards light source = not enough sun, Cacti love sun!
   * 6 hours of sunlight is recommended to keep your cactus or succulent happy and healthy.

Now if your looking to buy a cactus I suggest going to Ikea, they have so many for really cheap. There were 2 or 3 different types of cactus and 2 types of succulents. They also have plants such as bamboo, if you want something more exotic, and orchids. There were larger plants too, such as ferns.
At Ikea there are also pots that fit the cacti and succulents perfectly, but there's one down side, there's no drainage hole. So if you don't want to worry about that it'd be best to find a pot somewhere else like Target, Home Depot or Lowe's.

I hope these tips for caring for your cacti help make thing easier if your having trouble getting started!






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts